Intern- Hi-Rel Commercial Technologies R&D Graduate Year-Round
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Year Round R&D Graduate Intern to join our dynamic team.
On any given day, you will be called on to support:
- The subject matter expert for a family of electronic products and be highly knowledgeable with the performance of the parts in a variety of environments/conditions.
- Work with a variety of next level assembly design teams to learn about weapon systems through their many major components (MCs). Excellence in the CE role includes preventing issues by having an intimate knowledge of the supply chain for their commodity.
- Collaboration with customers and our production agency partners. Depending on the specific commodity, you may need expertise in state-of-the-art capacitors, resistors, analog and digital integrated circuits, diodes, filters, etc
- Research efforts for emerging technologies or other special topics.
- Projects that have multi-functional team members and impact how the department interacts with customers and partners such as NSC.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires attest to their vaccination status before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 30 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Qualifications We Desire
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask with competing priorities.
About Our Team
The Hi-Rel Commercial Technologies Department (7641) and the Hi-Rel Program and Integration Department (7642) are responsible for identification, characterization and qualification of commercial electronic components used in high reliability applications. The departments provide supplier and component information, hardware, test and reliability information, and surveillance of these components, to our system/subsystem design customers and to our Production Agency partners. Our core competency includes supply chain assurance, assessing component compatibility with manufacturing processes, and test process development to determine the suitability of commercial electronic components for high consequence products. We perform research to identify and assess new technologies.
Our departments are on the leading edge of the product realization process. We are responsible for ensuring thousands of electronics parts will meet stringent performance and reliability requirements. This requires the highest levels of understanding of:
- How the parts will function within their intended circuits
- Emerging technology capabilities and failure modes
- Suppliers and their relevant risks (technical, security, delivery, etc.)
- How to test a wide range of products
We invest in our people, our lab and test capability, and our Information Technology and project control tools.
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
- These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.