Technical Writer Intern - Summer 2022 (Remote)
We have an exciting Summer 2022 Internship opportunity for a remote Technical Writer intern to join the Technology Shared Services group within the Ferguson IT organization. The ideal intern candidate will be able to work full-time, with the option to go part-time come Fall 2022. This position is approved to sit 100% remote, however, candidates that are local to Newport News, VA, will have the option to work from our Headquarters office.
This role is responsible for researching and creating documents for IT policies, procedures, services, and systems. This position brings value by being a trusted advisor on effective content management while collaborating closely with Technology teams to improve document management, delivery, and standardization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with and learn about a variety of services/systems at a given time
- Serves as a documentation liaison to multiple business stakeholders.
- Builds strong relationships to positively influence others to ensure content accuracy, timely delivery, and a high degree of quality.
- Works with stakeholders when approvals are required for document development, revision, and publication.
- Technical Writer assistant for the Technical Review Plan for Disaster Recovery documentation
- Attend project meetings and team meetings to understand technical writing needs.
- Meet with key service owners to understand strategic direction.
- Work the documentation Library monthly audit process.
- Set up content review meetings with subject matter experts on technical documentation
- Researches and creates technology policies, standard operating procedures, disaster recovery plans, reference guides, basic Visio diagrams, templates, and other technical content.
- Maintains the IT content management system of technical documentation.
- Reviews published materials and recommended revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and distribution methods.
- Manages complex documentation projects to support service/system implementations and content migrations.
- Ensures proper maintenance of publications, materials, records, and other related documentation with attention to consistency in style of content.
- Quickly grasps complex technical concepts and makes them easily comprehensible in text and images
- Employs interview and listening skills with the ability to extract key messages from reluctant communicators.
- Ideal candidate will be in their Junior or senior year. Open to considering Grad Student level
- Demonstrates high levels of organization and professionalism with both Technology associates and business contacts.
- Exhibits strong attention to details while working with multiple projects, goals, deadlines, and business contacts.
- Excels in written and verbal communication, presentation, and customer service skills.
- Copy edits content for grammar, tone, and clarity for multiple audiences
- Works effectively in independent and team environments.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer as well as a government contractor that shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a), which prohibits discrimination against qualified protected Veterans and the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(A), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability.
Ferguson Enterprises, LLC. is an equal employment employer F/M/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation Information