JUNIOR CIVIL ENGINEER
Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Junior Civil Engineer for our Houston, Texas office. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges. In this role you will support multi-discipline designs including site development, landfills, and waste facilities, etc.
- Support the team to complete planning/study documents, preliminary design, detailed design, permitting documents, and engineering reports.
- Working with project teams on civil engineering projects
- Perform a wide variety of routine assignments which are clearly defined and require the application of standard design engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Support conceptual and detailed designs for multi-discipline projects for civil infrastructure waste facilities/landfills/environmental.
- Managing project tasks and providing oversight of and technical direction for technicians.
- Performing civil engineering task such as:
- Site development and layout
- Stormwater and drainage
- Roadway and pavement alignment
- Erosion and sedimentation control
- Site/facilities layout
- Utilities and conveyance piping
- Preparing project design packages including technical drawings, specifications, schedules, and cost estimates
- Complete tasks assigned on time, within budget, and to high level of quality
- Preparing plans and specifications, engineering reports, engineer’s cost estimates, and quantity take-offs
- Write technical reports summarizing research with findings and conclusions, generating complete, accurate, and concise documentation using sketches, calculations, electronic systems, spreadsheets, and software.
- Review construction submittals for conformance to contract and design documents
- Communicating with clients and developing scopes of work
- Developing plans for and conducting field assignments, such as inspections, investigations, and construction monitoring
- Work with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Complete training on assigned tasks.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 0 to 1 years of relevant post education experience.
- Excellent research skills with analytical mindset.
- Excellent research skills with analytical mindset.
- Strong engineering skills and ability to complete civil engineering calculations and analyses
- Detailed oriented with strong analytical skill and a positive attitude as well as the ability to work both independently and on teams
- Demonstrate time management and organizational skills
- Comfortable in remote settings, with a can-do attitude, and a willingness to perform a variety of tasks as needed to complete an assignment and satisfy project demands
- Analytical mindset with an ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Competent interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Proficient self-leadership with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision, as well as part of a team to meet business objectives.
- Basic proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, spreadsheets, technology, and tools.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent field of study
- Engineer in Training Certification.
- Familiarity with discipline-specific design software (i.e., MicroStation, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcGIS, InRoads, Geopak, GeoSlope, ANSYS, STADD, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS).
- Prior internship related to the degree of study and the specific engineering discipline.
- A member of and/or actively participate in local professional practice organizations.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 25%
- Job Status: New Graduate
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: HOUSTON - HEATHROW FOREST PKWY
- All locations: US-TX-Houston
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.