Junior Catastrophe Analyst
Since 1977 we have delivered first class solutions to insurers worldwide, by combining global reach with local decision making. We have built customer & broker relationships on years of trust, experience and execution. Through our people, our products and our partnerships, we deliver the capacity and expertise necessary to contribute to the sustainable growth of prosperous communities worldwide. To do so, our colleagues work with:
Integrity Work honestly, to enhance TransRe’s reputation
Respect Value all colleagues. Collaborate actively.
Performance We reward excellence. Be accountable, manage risk and deliver TransRe’s strengths
Entrepreneurship Seize opportunities. Innovate for and with customers.
Customer Focus Anticipate their priorities. Exceed their expectations.
We have the following job opportunity in our New York City office:
This role is part of our New York modeling team, which provides in-depth analytics and expertise to our North American underwriters as well as delivering catastrophic peril related projects to the business in order to better understand and manage our risk. Tasks required of this role include but are not limited to:
- Performing data scrubbing/formatting and modeling analyses of individual catastrophe excess, pro rata and per risk programs and providing knowledge in the areas of catastrophe modeling, data quality and pricing for property catastrophe and specialty reinsurance business lines.
- Liaising with the underwriting department on review and interpretation of the modeling output, pricing of reinsurance of contracts and added analytics based on catastrophe model results.
- Interacting with peers within brokers and client companies to ensure clear understanding of data requirements, quality and completeness of data provided, and interpretation of modeling results.
- Developing and improve the catastrophe modeling inputs and metric outputs used for reinsurance pricing.
- Participating in group efforts to design operations, procedures and systems to improve data quality.
- Contributing to model studies including the validation of underlying science, usage, and outputs.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improved processes, develop specifications for solutions and liaise with development to implement via TransRe systems.
- Bachelor's degree in math, applied science, computer science, actuarial science or other quantitative discipline
- Internship or 1 year of experience with modeling in a reinsurance firm or within a broker setting is preferred
- Good understanding and experience with writing SQL queries/stored procedures as related to the catastrophe modeling is required. Programming skills including R, VBA, Power BI and Python a plus.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced business environment. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and engage multiple stakeholders from across the business.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (in English, verbal and written) and a strong work ethic and commitment to meet deadlines.
Work schedule will be hybrid with approximately 3 days in the office and the remainder remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and we support diversity in the workforce.